Saturday 29 January 2011

A Story in Six Minutes

If you are looking for a sure fire way to get your creative mind moving, try writing a Six Minute Story at their website. Founded by Galen Sandford, the Six Minute Story website affords writers a way to kick-start their thinking and a forum of feed-back and encouragement. It works like this; you are given a prompt and then you have six minutes to write to that prompt, when the timer runs out you are unable to add more text. I tried it for the first time this morning to the prompt 'The dream was better than the waking'. Here is my effort. Flawed? Yes, but the perfect skeleton now for a fantasy piece.

Waking Dreams

She moved through my dreams in the silver slippers of moonlight.

I shivered. It seemed as though something had touched me. I could hear the early morning mist slip off the slumbering streets...my bones shuddered and I longed in those lucid moments for warmth.

Did you breath? I felt a soft air cross my cheeks as I struggled against the frostiness cast by being in the limbo between sleeping and waking. Touch me! Touch me! make me come alive again, don't let me drift into cold darkness.

Sunlight drove hard through the window and fell on my cheek...is it your kiss I wondered?

Struggling through the cold of dying sleep, I wake, gasping, reaching for you. You are not there.

The dream was better than the waking...your spirit met me there and warmth brushed my spirit's need to find you.

Click here to write you six minute story

Give it a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment